If you’re planning on visiting Munich , here are the main things to see and do here:
1.First of all go to Marienplatz subway station to see the old city center. At Marienplatz you can see :
- ” Neues Rathaus”- the neo-Gothic new town hall . You can also see the city from the tower of the city hall for only 2,50 Eur.
- ” Glockenspiel”- a carillon housed by the town hall tower . Be in front of the city hall-Neues Rathaus to see and hear the “Glockenspiel” every day at 11 , 12 and 17 o’clock .
- ” Altes Rathaus”(the old town hall)
- “Spielzeugmuseum” (Toy museum)
- “Viktualienmarkt”- popular market with cheese, fish, sausages, spices. The market is located a few meters away from ” Neues Rathaus” and sometimes hosts many important events
- “Alter Peter”(St. Peter Church)
- “Frauenkirche” (Church of our Lady)- symbol of the city Munich
- “Deutsches Jagd- und Fischereimuseum”(Hunting and fishing museum)
Munich Rathaus-New Town Hall
Munich old town hall and Toy museum
At Marienplatz don’t miss the following streets: Kaufingerstraße , Tal and Weinstrasse.
Kaufingerstraße is one of the most important shopping areas .It also takes you to “Deutsches Jagd- und Fischereimuseum” and “Frauenkirche”.The street goes between Marienplatz and Karlsplatz/Stachus. At the end of this street you find Karlstor- one of the gates surrounding the city center.
The street Tal has many restaurants and shops. At the end of this street you find Isartor- one of the gates of the city
Weinstrasse is an interesting street with many souvenir shops and not only. Continue with Theatinerstrasse, taking you to another place you definitely have to see- Odeonsplatz
Munich city center – Weinstrasse & Theatinerstrasse
2. Go to Odeonsplatz subway station (you can take the subway or walk from Marienplatz ) . At Odeonsplatz you can see:
- Theatinerkirche(Theatine Church)
- Feldherrnhalle- a huge military loggia, symbol of the Bavarian Army
- Residenz museum
- Hofgarten( a small part of Englisher Garten). You definitely have to walk a bit through this garden and see Dianatempel.
Odeonsplatz-Feldherrnhalle & Theatinerkirche
3. Go to Giselastraße or Universität subway station, walk around 5-10 minutes and enter the Englisher Garten. Don’t miss the beer garden located near the Chinese Tower (“Chinesischer Turm” ). Englisher Garten is even bigger than Central Park from New York, so try not to get lost.
Englisher Garten-Chinese Tower
4. Go to Olympiazentrum subway station and see BMW Museum, BMW Welt(admission free) and Olympiapark. In Olympia park you shouldn’t miss climbing into the Olympic Tower, offering you a view of the Alps(but only if the weather is good).
Olympia park seen from Olympia Tower
5. Go to Fraunhoferstrasse subway station to see Deutsches Museum and the river Isar
6. Go to Fröttmaning subway station and see Allianz Arena.More info you can find at: www.allianz-arena.de
For information regarding public transport in Munich (prices,subway maps,costs) you can use the site: www.mvv-muenchen.de
Other things in Germany that might interest you: